Female Factories in Australia- Cascades World Heritage Listed
There were thirteen female factories in Australia, twelve of them are all but destroyed. This part of the site will research and display those sites to prove why Parramatta Female Factory should be conserved and protected by World Heritage Listing.
Photograph James Backhouse 1892 University of Tasmania
The Cascades Female Factory operated in South Hobart from 1828 to 1856. After it ceased operation as a female factory in 1856, it continued as a gaol under the administration of local authorities from 1856 until 1877. There were eventually 5 yards operating at Cascades Female Factory. The Factory opened with Yard 1 in 1828, Yard 2 opened in 1832, Yard 3 opened in 1845, Yard 4 opened in 1850, and Yard 5 opened in 1853, the last year of transportation. Governor George Arthur purchased the site at Cascades for the female factory in 1827 from the owner of a failed distillery, TY Lowes. The factory's first intake of female prisoners was in December 1828, from the prisoners at Hobart Town Female Factory. It gradually expanded to hold 700 female convicts and their children, though at its peak it was even more overcrowded than usual, holding 1,200 women and children. Rules and regulations for the management of the Factory were published in 1829. - Courtesy Female Convicts .org.au
This is what the World Heritage Listed site looks like today.