Cumberland Hospital

On December 28th 1849 the institution was officially gazetted as the “Lunatic Asylum Parramatta” at which time it became a public asylum. This also marked the point at which the lunatic branch of the establishment was administratively separated from Tarban Creek. Edwin Statham’s wife Elizabeth was appointed as the first Matron – almost two years after she had held the same position in the Female Factory before its’ closure. Plan of Asylum 1855.